Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hard Magic: Book I of the Grimnoir Chronicles

I've been a big fan of Larry Correia's stuff since his first self printing of Monster Hunter International (MHI).

I recently downloaded the audio book of Hard Magic,  and I dare say Larry has outdone himself yet again.  MHI was my favorite,  but this narrowly passed it up.  I'll not do a lengthy review,  but if you're not interested in an alternate history that involves magical power influencing prominent figures and history itself...  You're wrong.  Full stop,  end of story.  How Larry comes up with this stuff, I have no idea,  but the mingling of history and his fanstasy are nothing short of excellent.  Hard magic is a Steampunk alternate history chock full of Zeppelins,  Browning weapons, and awesome.  I've not seen it's equal.  Harry Turtledove has nothing on Correia.  I like Turtledove's stuff, but this is in a league of it's own.  Very much Gunny- centric.

It's going to be a good year for Larry's books.  If you haven't read MHI or MHV yet,  I strongly recommend them.  This year,  we get Hard Magic,  Monster Hunter Alpha,  AND  Dead 6 ( Which was awesome in it's first form,  as a collaboration with Mike Kupari on the old THR board).  Can't wait to see the revised version in print. 

Go forth and get a copy!


PS-  Not that it matters,  but I still think the cover art looks like Delilah is holding a glowing dog turd.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment