Monday, May 23, 2011

Down the road I go.

Most day's I spend about 8-12 hours listening to audiobooks in the truck.  Audible.com is an excellent source for these, despite being sorta pricey.  Woot.com provided the player,  in the form of a cheap Sanza clip 4 gig  (for a whole 12 bucks!),  and given that I've run mine through the wash and it still works,  I'm pleased.

So I spend all day listening to random podcasts and books,  and if you bother to apply yourself,  the potential to learn PILES of random interesting info is there. 

So the past week I've been working on "The Last Lion,  visions of glory,  Winston Spencer Churchill 1874-1932"

Churchill is one of my favorite characters from history.  He's easily on that imaginary list of " Who would you want to have dinner and drinks with from history?"   He's not perfect by any means,  but I have the greatest respect for a man that can hold a view,  have it rubbed in his face as incorrect,  and not only learn from, it,  but form a better thought, supported by the new facts.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." WSC

I could write y'all piles of interesting stuff here about that man,  but it's been done.  One of the things that did stick out to me,  was the India crisis.  The book covers both that and the Ireland home rule kerfuffle... While completely interesting as a background of Why Things Are The Way They Are,  one weird thing stuck out to me...  


How do you manage to take a sub continent,  overfill it with hungry people and a plethora of "sacred" cows,  and then stick them with a goofy religion that forbids eating of said surplus of bovines?  


The gods have a twisted sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't thought of it exactly that way, but you DO have a point... :-)

    ReplyDelete